Welcome to the QTSpace Newsletter
- Workshop: Optomechanical route to macroscopic quantum superpositions – Bratislava, 22-23 March 2018
- QTSpace at the European Quantum Technology Community Meeting – Oberkochen, 19 April 2018
- Position opening: Chair in aerospace science and technology
Workshop: Optomechanical route to macroscopic quantum superpositions
22 - 23 March 2018, Bratislava (SK)
The workshop on levitated optomechanics as a test-bed for the investigation of the validity of quantum theory at the mesoscopic and macroscopic scale, is approaching. Registration at:
Goals of the workshop: identify the fundamental challenges of such tests and the opportunities offered by a space-based configuration; compare the capabilities of levitated optomechanics to those of other platforms such as magneto-levitated one for the identification of the best-suited experimental platform. The workshop will run over one day and a half.
QTSpace at the European Quantum Technology Community Meeting
19 April 2018, Oberkochen (DE)
The European Quantum Technology Community Meeting will take place on 19 April 2018 in Oberkochen (Germany), attached to ZEISS Symposium "Optics in the Quantum World". One of its goals is to define the scientific policies in view of FP9. The link to the meeting, with the agenda is:
During the meeting, there will be a session on “QT in Space” - coordinated by our COST Action - with the following objectives:
- Define the guidelines for a Report on QT in Space for the European Commission in view of FP9.
- Define the writing-team who is committed to work on this.
- Define the working-mode.
Our current strategic report (http://www.qtspace.eu/?q=strategicrep) will serve as the basis for this work. You are invited to participate to the meeting, registering via the link:
The main players of the QT in Space session are: academia, space agencies, industries, policy makers.
Position opening: Chair in aerospace science and technology
The University of Évora (Portugal) opens a call for applications to the post of Chair in “aerospace science and technology”. This position is for five years. Applications for the position will be assessed by a board of external experts.
The person appointed is expected to have an international reputation for research in Aerospace Science, Technology, in particular in aeronautics, space vehicles and related production technologies. He/she is required to pursue a research programme at the forefront of the subject, providing research leadership to colleagues working in this and similar fields: to play a major role in securing funding for research and in broadening the Chair’s research portfolio, seeking strategic initiatives and partnerships, and to contribute towards promoting postgraduate teaching and training of PhD students.
A suitable salary scale will be provided which includes an annual stipend equivalent to that of a full professor (65.309,58€ – 75.621,56€ gross salary). In addition to the salary, the position carries with it an additional package to support the research activities of the Chair.
Essential requirement for the post are:
- An experience track record in research and demonstrable ability to compete for independent external grant support;
- Evidence of leadership at an international level in the specific field;
- A strong commitment to fostering postgraduate training with personal expertise in oral and written communication skills.
Candidates with the required background and strong commitment are invited to apply by sending: (i) a motivation letter; (ii) a five years research proposal; iii) curriculum vitae; iv) indication of proficiency in the English / Portuguese language; v) two references. These are to be sent by first class mail and by e-mail to the address below no later than March 16, 2018
Contact for further information and submissions:
Rectorate of Évora University
Address: Largo dos Colegiais, nº 2 | 7004-516 ÉVORA | PORTUGAL
- Period for submissions: from February 15, 2018 to March 16, 2018;
- Assessment panel decision: from March 22, 2018 to April 5, 2018;
- Selected candidate homologation and announcement: April 27, 2018.
- Manuel Pereira dos Santos, Professor Catedrático da Escola de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Évora;
- Carlos Mota Soares, Professor Catedrático Jubilado do Instituto Superior Técnico da Universidade de Lisboa;
- José Rui Felizardo, CEO do “CEiiA – Centro de Engenharia e Inovação”;
- Luís Braga Campos, Professor Catedrático do Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica (Grupo de Engenharia Aeroespacial) do Instituto Superior Técnico da Universidade de Lisboa;
- Pedro Camanho, Professor Catedrático do Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica da Faculdade de Engenharia da Universidade do Porto;
- Timon Rabczuk, Professor Catedrático, Fakultät Bauingenieurwesen, Institut für Strukturmechanik, Univ. Weimar, Alemanha;
- Damián Rivas Rivas, Prof. Catedrático, Departamento Ingeniería Aeroespacial, Universidad de Sevilla;
- José Luis Montañés García, Profesor Catedrático, Departamento de Motopropulsión y Termofluidodinámica, Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Aeronáuticos, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid.
Universidade de Évora home website: http://www.uevora.pt
Manager: Angelo Bassi, Strada Costiera 11, 34151, Trieste - ITALY